Is Your Attic Insulation Performing Its Job?
When to address old insulation?
Insulation in your attic serves an important role in keeping your Ennis or Red Oak home comfortable and economical to heat and cool. Like all aspects of home ownership, there comes a time when one should assess the condition of a home’s insulation and perform any needed maintenance.
Insulation can last many decades in ideal conditions, but less than ideal conditions can shorten the life expectancy significantly. You might want to get a professional to inspect your attic insulation if you notice any of the following:
- Your heating and cooling costs have gone up with no obvious reason
- Your system is heating and cooling your house unevenly
- Your system seems to run constantly to keep up with your heating or cooling needs, resulting in higher utility costs.
- You can visibly see debris and contamination or smell odors in the attic.
Why replace or vamp-up attic insulation?
Your insulation may need attention due to various reasons. If you find any of the following conditions in your attic insulation, SERVPRO of Ennis/Red Oak is ready to assist you in assessing and restoring your attic to its best.
- Existing insulation may have become degraded due to the length of time it has been there. Over time the insulation can shift or become disturbed causing drafts to develop that make your home temperature harder to regulate. This can cause a boost in your energy bill as your HVAC system tries to regulate all areas of the home.
- Even insulation that has not exceeded its lifespan can become degraded due to water damage. If you have experienced leaks from the roof or water lines in the attic, any resulting moist insulation cannot be salvaged. Wet insulation becomes ineffective and mold grows quickly in the lingering moisture. Mold releases mycotoxins, which can affect the quality of the air in your home. Water damaged insulation must be removed and replaced.
- Insulation can also become damaged due to critters, such as squirrels, rats, snakes, or bats getting into your attic and making a mess. They may cause damage to your insulation, as well as electrical wires and other materials in your attic and walls. They also leave behind waste which creates a hazardous environment.
- Your insulation may be an older product consisting of vermiculite which can contain asbestos. Not all vermiculite contains asbestos, but if your insulation contains vermiculite do not attempt to remove it yourself until you have a professional verify that it is asbestos free.
Why call SERVPRO of Ennis/Red Oak?
Our IICRC Certified technicians are highly trained in all types of home restoration. Whether your damage is from water, fire, storm, or another disaster, SERVPRO trained technicians have the training and experience to make your home “Like it never even happened.”
When you are ready to clean up and freshen your attic with new insulation, call the team that is ready to assist. SERVPRO of Ennis/Red Oak serves all of Ellis County and surrounding areas. 972-937-1494